Sunday, March 6, 2011

How to Make Baby Food - Green Beans

Before I had Molly, people often asked me if I would be making my own baby food. I very quickly said something to the effect of "hell no, that would stress me out to no end. I don't have time for stuff like that." But as we got closer to starting her on solids a few weeks back, I thought maybe I'd give it a try. While I never judge anyone who makes different choices than I do (different things work for different families), I didn't really feel great about starting her off on processed purees. So I bought an avocado. I peeled it, I mashed it, and I fed it to my daughter. She loved it, and the whole process of making my own baby food took a whopping 5 minutes. All of a sudden, this wasn't such a bad idea after all.

After avocado, we moved on to some veggies. While they take a bit more work than peeling and mashing an avocado or banana, it is still a pretty quick and easy process. So, for those of you thinking about maybe making your own food, I thought I'd share how I do it.

Today I made up a batch of green beans. The key to making baby food is to make enough to freeze and store, that way you aren't making it every day. I make food on Sundays, as part of my "prep for the week" chores that I do anyway.

Babies R Us sells a bunch of food storage containers. The ones I use aren't listed on their website, but I also have some of these Annabel Karmel BPA free containers. Both sets are great because you can freeze them and then pop them right in the microwave.

To make baby food, you'll need a food processor or something similar. I use our Bella Cucina blender, a spin-off of the Magic Bullet.  There are also neat baby food processors out there, but I personally don't think its necessary to spend the money if you already have some sort of processing device and a way to cook and steam veggies.


When choosing vegetables to puree, you can choose fresh or frozen. I personally think that frozen are easier, and frozen veggies actually hold their nutritional value better than fresh. But, either way works. Today I'm using frozen green beans.

Cook the beans according to the package directions. I boil water, add the beans, bring them back to a boil, cover, and let them simmer until tender, about 7-10 minutes.


When they are tender, drain them well.


Add the beans to your food processor. I add just a little bit of water to help thin the puree. You'll know the consistency is right if it moves around once its pureed. Make sure there aren't any chunks. If it's too thick, just add a bit more water until you have it right.



Add the pureed veggies to your containers, label, and freeze! I put about a tablespoon in each container, but obviously the amount will be adjusted as Molly grows and eats more.


How easy is that? The frozen food will last for a maximum of 3 months, which is great, because you can really start to build variety in your freezer!

When you're ready to serve, just pop a container in the microwave (30-45 seconds depending on the food), put into a little dish, and serve 'em up! We tried peas today, and they were a hit!



I'll post more baby food "how to's" as Molly start's eating more and more. Give it a try, and feel free to post any tips you may have as well!

10 comments:

  1. another fun baby/toddler food that i think is so adorable...but probably way too much work. http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/03/whole-wheat-goldfish-crackers/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would not only work for Babies, but also for people who have had Bariatric Surgery! Nice write-up, Kristina! And nice photos too!
    -B

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also try BPA free ice cube trays - I found 2 cubes are a serving. Those are what I used and they worked great for portion control/ freezing and serving. :) Yay Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly has such a great mommy. I love the pictures of my sweetie little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just found your blog. i am starting this with my son. this is EXACTLY what i was looking for. thanks. i look forward to more recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your post. I am about to start peas with my daughter and now I know exactly how to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ! Another "easy-to-make" baby food recipe which is healthy too. I am grateful to you for this share. Do have a look on my blog regarding the jobs that won't exist in next 20 years: http://compoundwisdom.com/15-jobs-wont-exist-20-years/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you admin, it's really a very nice article indeed.

    By the away we are the Colourful Baby based in USA.
    Here we are to provide the best baby product and reviews to read.
    You can visit us to bring the best baby product as well.
    Below have some food storage and check now
    baby food storage containers thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet you admin, it's really a very nice article indeed.

    By the away we are the Colourful Baby based in USA.
    Here we are to provide the best baby product and reviews to read.
    You can visit us to bring the best baby product as well.
    Below have some food storage and check now
    baby food storage containers by the colourful baby thanks

    ReplyDelete