|Photo Credit: Ree Drummond|
And, we begin.
These. Are. Awesome. Husband approved, and seriously 10-month old baby approved. They're easy to make, filling, and if you do them right, they're pretty healthy too. Of course, they are from my superhuman internet mentor Ree Drummond, aka The Pioneer Woman. She uses ground beef, I use turkey, either way, these are a really yummy and fun dinner.
Mini Meatball Sandwiches
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 of 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 1 large jar marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 12 dinner rolls
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut into wedges
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together meat, bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and milk. Knead with your hands. Roll together into heaping tablespoon sized rolls.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute for one minute.
- Add meatballs between the onions and brown both sides.
- Add the jar of marinara or spaghetti sauce and shake the pan gently to mix in.
- Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut dinner rolls in half and put one wedge of provolone the top and bottom of each roll. Add a meatball to the bottom bun and add the top of the roll.
- Serve immediately, and return for seconds.