It was awesome. In fact, I'll say it was the best lasagna I've ever had. (Sorry mom). Slow cookers are great because they can be convenient, but are also wonderful because they give food so much more flavor. I even forgot the ricotta cheese, and it was still awesome. (By the way, if you ever do that - just double the mozzarella, parmesan, and egg, and add a little sauce to the mix to keep it moist). It's a quick cook in the crock pot, so this isn't a leave it all day meal, but if you need something quick and easy and will be gone for a few hours, this rules.
Crock Pot Lasagna
|Photo Credit - Kraft Foods|
- 1lb ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 jar pasta sauce (about 2.75 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1.75 cups ricotta cheese
- 1.75 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- Brown meat in a large skillet and drain.
- Stir in pasta sauce and water, warm slightly.
- Mix ricotta, 1.5 cups mozzarella, 2 tbsp parmesan, egg, and parsley.
- Spoon 1 cup of meat sauce into slow cooker.
- Layer as follows - noodles (break to fit), cheese, sauce, noodles, cheese, sauce, noodles, sauce, cheese (or really, however you want to layer it). I topped it with more mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover with lid.
- Cook on low heat. This part will depend on your crock pot. The recipe calls for 4-6 hours, mine took about 3 hours.
Source: Kraft Foods