Monday, April 16, 2012

What's for Dinner? Crock Pot Lasagna

This weekend I had a photo shoot late in the afternoon. I knew there was a chance that I may not be able to make it back in time for dinner, and wanted to have something ready to go for my husband and kiddo. I needed a quick and easy crockpot meal, that required zero additional steps once everything was in the pot. Of course, I turned to Pinterest, and found a bazillion pins for crock pot lasagna. I've seen this before and turned my nose up to it, because really, who the heck makes lasagna in a crock pot? But I was desperate, so I threw it together, crossed all my crossables, and fully intended to pick up a pizza on the way home.

It was awesome. In fact, I'll say it was the best lasagna I've ever had. (Sorry mom). Slow cookers are great because they can be convenient, but are also wonderful because they give food so much more flavor. I even forgot the ricotta cheese, and it was still awesome. (By the way, if you ever do that - just double the mozzarella, parmesan, and egg, and add a little sauce to the mix to keep it moist). It's a quick cook in the crock pot, so this isn't a leave it all day meal, but if you need something quick and easy and will be gone for a few hours, this rules.

Crock Pot Lasagna


Photo Credit - Kraft Foods
Ingredients

  • 1lb ground turkey or lean ground beef
  • 1 jar pasta sauce (about 2.75 cups)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1.75 cups ricotta cheese
  • 1.75 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 6 lasagna noodles, uncooked
Directions
  • Brown meat in a large skillet and drain.
  • Stir in pasta sauce and water, warm slightly.
  • Mix ricotta, 1.5 cups mozzarella, 2 tbsp parmesan, egg, and parsley.
  • Spoon 1 cup of meat sauce into slow cooker.
  • Layer as follows - noodles (break to fit), cheese, sauce, noodles, cheese, sauce, noodles, sauce, cheese (or really, however you want to layer it). I topped it with more mozzarella and parmesan.
  • Cover with lid. 
  • Cook on low heat. This part will depend on your crock pot. The recipe calls for 4-6 hours, mine took about 3 hours.
Enjoy!

Source: Kraft Foods


1 comment:

  1. I am going to make this for nana and bumpa. sounds awesome. Anything make quick and easy these days is always the best.

    ReplyDelete