|Photo Credit - OurBestBites.com (Because|
mine didn't look like this, and let's be honest,
yours won't either). But it still tastes
I made just a few teeny tiny changes to the original recipe. Here's my version, and the original is linked below. I highly recommend prepping the ingredients before you begin to cook unless you are some sort of crazy kitchen cooking wizard.
Tortellini Bake in Creamy Lemon Sauce
- 20 oz cheese tortellini (I used garlic and herb)
- 4 oz bacon (about 5 strips), crumbled and divided
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 c milk
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 medium lemon - zested (2 tsp) and juiced (1 tbsp)
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Add tortellini and cook according to package instructions (NOTE: Do not overcook - tortellini only takes 3-5 minutes to cook). Drain and return to stockpot.
- While tortellini cooks - in a medium-sized skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat. Cook until crisp. Remove and place on paper towels to drain and cool.
- Reserve two tablespoons of bacon drippings in the pan, and discard the rest.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant and tender, about 1 minute.
- Add flour to pan, and whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk and continue to stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, basil, and red pepper flakes, and bring sauce to a simmer.
- Add lemon zest and juice. Continue to whisk until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Crumble bacon. Reserve one tablespoon, and add the rest to the pasta mixture.
- Add spinach, 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Add sauce and stir gently to combine.
- Place mixture in a casserole or baking dish and top with remaining mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and bacon.
- Cover with foil or baking dish lid, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil or lid and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until cheese on top is melted, and dish is bubbly.
I hope you like it. It's a bit of work, but so very worth it! Yum yum!