A few times, I've seen one circling around for moms. It goes something like "if you've traded your mascara in for burp cloths, and your heels for pacifier clips..you are a real mom."
Um, what?! That's crap. You might as well say to a pregnant lady, "Congratulations! You are about to enter a phase of your life where you will enjoy bedhead and frump every day for the next 18 years." I don't think so. So, I came up with my own status update.
You can be an awesome and real mom when you:
- Have girls nights. Because you really appreciate them.
- Wear heels to the grocery store. Because they make you feel pretty.
- Put mascara on every day. Because you know that the 30 seconds it takes to put it on does not impact you child's ability to read or become the President.
- Watch television. And by television I mean shows like Grey's Anataomy, House, Law and Order, and Glee. Not just Sesame Street, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Dora the Explorer.
- Go on dates with your significant other.
- Drink wine. Because if moms had to give up wine we'd never make it.
- Carry a designer handbag.
- Get manicures and pedicures.
- Have a career.
- Study, craft, play music, create, or do whatever it is that you did before you had kids that made you who you are.
Frump is so out, moms. Show your kids it's ok to be who you are and who you want to be in any phase of your life.